The board establishes the library mission, long-range plan, policies, and as a group provides oversight of the Library Director (Librarian) but must not undermine the authority of the director.Specific duties include:
- Know community needs, keep abreast of library trends, and actively participate in state and national library associations.
- Set up an organizational structure for the library board and adopt bylaws that meet Open Public Meetings laws.
- Assure that board minutes, library policies, plans, and other information or reports are available to the public as required by law.
- Once the board adopts a policy or plan all members support the decision and support staff who implement decisions.
- In coordination with the director, develop and adopt the library's mission statement, long-range, strategic and annual plans.
- Know local, state, and federal laws related to libraries.
- Employ a competent and qualified director, maintain a current job description, and evaluate the director annually on previously agreed upon criteria.
- Clearly delegate operations to library director avoiding procedural micromanaging.
- Discuss, adopt, and periodically review policies.